Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Family of God

Tonight a friend and I were putting stamps on my ministry support letters and praying for each family who will receive one in the mail.  As we slowly sifted through each one I began telling her about each person and how they had impacted my life.  I spoke of missionaries who had served for 30+ years and teachers who taught me in and out of the classroom.  I spoke of precious, godly couples who live out their faith with boldness.  I told her of friends who picked me up and encouraged me in times of need and wonderful people who bless my family with their friendship.  I told her about volunteers who came to work with our family multiple times when we lived overseas and a sweet lady who would make cookies just for me and my brother. 

The stories went on and on.  One by one she heard of wonderful people who the Lord had used in my life.  As she graciously sat and listened, I was completely humbled by the Lord's many blessings.  With each name came a different memory, a smile or laugh--even tears of gratefulness.

What an incredible experience!  I praise God for all His many blessings, for the Family of God and for each individual person who has impacted me in some way.  I love how He created us to live in community to bless and be blessed.  As my friend was reading each name and noticing each address she said to me "Wow, these people live all over the world." and again, it reminded me of how great is our God!  

"Most High God, thank you for my brothers and sisters in Christ.  May you be blessed through how we live in community and serve one another out of your love!"


While I was driving home tonight this song came to mind:

I'm so glad I'm a part of the Family of God,
I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family,
The Family of God.

You will notice we say "brother and sister" 'round here,
It's because we're a family and these are so near;
When one has a heartache, we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.

From the door of an orphanage to the house of the King,
No longer an outcast, a new song I sing;
From rags unto riches, from the weak to the strong,
I'm not worthy to be here, but praise God I belong!

1 comment: