Sunday, July 22, 2012

In His Arms


I fear that I will never be able to adequately convey what has taken place in the last few weeks of my life.  It is true that we are ever-changing--evolving as we learn, grow, fall and get back up.  This state of change seems more pronounced in my life than perhaps ever before.  As I survey my life, so much seems uncertain, unsteady.  As my thoughts linger on the unknown, I stumble on the uneven foundation beneath my tired feet.  I fear that I cannot take another step without falling, landing on my hands and knees.  It is here that I rest, unable to stand on my own two feet--unable to walk.  Then suddenly I am captivated, not by my failure, but by the indescribable beauty of the one who is bending down to pick me up.  My Father--my gentle, loving Father.  With concern in His eyes and a familiar quiet-passion in His expression, He picks me up.  Gently He surveys my hurts, taking note of each one with care.  Then He looks me in the eye--tears in His.  He smiles a tender smile as He pulls me close to His chest. His steady breathing calms my spirit and quickly I find my weight resting on Him. Then as a father would rock his hurting child, my Father begins to sway with me in His arms.  This, dear friend, is indescribable peace--one that can never be experienced outside of faith in the Father.
Without God I am--nothing, sinful, broken, prideful, ugly, selfish, lazy, flawed, self-absorbed, bitter, jealous, hateful.  My God is everything, without sin, complete, humble, beautiful, selfless, disciplined, perfect, passionate about His children, forgiving, loving, kind.  Praise God that as I come to Him, the sacrifice of Jesus covers me.  All of the dark, unsightly stains are covered.  All of the fear, failure, inability, impure thoughts--covered.  Not only does He cover my past and my present but He has also covered my future mistakes.  Praise be to Him!


It is true that in my humanity I will always fail.  Praise God that I have forgiveness in Him.  I may not know what tomorrow will bring.  Praise God that He has gone before me.


...And just as a hurt little child trusts the familiar, comforting arms of their father--I trust You, Oh God.



No comments: