Friday, August 10, 2012

The Dwelling Place

When I was in third grade, maybe, I remember my mom having my brother and I memorize different scriptures as part of our home schooling.  To this day I am still able to recite Psalm 91.  "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, He is my shield and rampart, my God in whom I trust.  Surely He will save me from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.  He will cover me with His feathers and under His wings I will find refuge...."  Hmm, what an incredible proclamation of God's faithfulness.

For some reason today after months--years even, of not thinking about it, Psalm 91:1 was lingering in my mind.  "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." What an incredible picture--one that I had never stopped to think of before as the words always seem to mindlessly fall from my lips.

What does it mean to dwell? Webster's dictionary says that to dwell is to live as a permanent resident.  To exist.  To fasten ones attention toward something or someone.  I began thinking today, on what it is that I dwell.  Is it the Lord?  I sure hope so, but unfortunately, more often than not I'm afraid that my mind is dwelling elsewhere--relationships, provision, the "what's nexts" in life.

I love not only the thought of dwelling in the Most High but that as a result one will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Again, what a beautiful picture.  This though, made me think about the cause and effect of where we direct our attention.  If I dwell in relationships, I will then rest (or rather worry) in the shadow of those relationships.  If I dwell in the provision (or lack of there of) in my life, I will then rest (or find my worth) in the shadow of my provision--and so forth.

Dear friend, where are you dwelling? In what shadow are you resting or not resting? Is it the Most High--the Lord? Or is it something that will leave you feeling empty, disappointed and alone?

I am thankful that tonight as I was driving away from a sweet time with a friend the Lord reminded me that my dwelling place is only in Him.

The Lord is my shelter.  May I dwell in Him.

No comments: