Wednesday, August 29, 2007

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.” - Author Unknown

Lately I have worked hard to develop patience in every area of my life. It's not a task to take lightly. This is a task that requires great investment in oneself. It's a constant reminder to hold my tongue, to listen, to wait. There are many, many times when I look back on some situation and think: wow, if only I had had a little more patience, if only I had waited a little longer that would have gone so much better. As I am maturing I have realized that it is so important to really hold my tongue, to think through situations and then to respond. There are times when I just want to jump on something, to lash back, to interrupt. That's not what my purpose is about. As much as I want to be heard, sometimes I think it's more important to let other voices speak out and have the ability to be patient with them even though I want to 'fix' them or make them see my point of view.

Patience is waiting, not passively waiting. I like that. A lot of times when I have to wait on something I just give up. Maybe it'll happen maybe not. I call that being 'patient', but that is not patience, that is quitting. I think that no matter whether you will have instant gratification or have to wait it is still something that you should continually work for. When I have been patiently waiting for something I appreciate it so much more than when I got it right when I first wanted it.

Patience is needed in so many aspects of life. Relationships is a huge area that requires a great deal of patience. This is important for me to remember because everything in my life right now is geared toward relationships. My profession is meant to promote healthy relationships, my ministry right now as an RA is completely about relationships, my purpose is to create relationships--having any sort of relationship requires patience. I have discovered that the hard way, through pain and tears and now remember that as I am developing my relationships. Take things slowly, be patient.

Actively patient, I think that defines me. Trying to find ways in which I can serve, different points of view I can take on things and continuing to work for the Lord as I patiently wait for the next thing in my journey.

No comments: