Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Trauma Room

When I was a child one of my favorite pass-times was to play doctor.  I had a black Fisher Price medical bag complete with the working stethoscope and I thought I was set to fix the world.  Here I was six years old, innocent, with a colorful imagination--nothing could stop me. It is fun to think back to wonderful, lighthearted memories and smile at my naivety.  Imagine though, what if, having no other experience, I was thrown into a crowded ER with sick and dying people--my only instructions ‘Heal as many as you can’.  It wouldn’t take long before I would fail miserably, lacking knowledge, equipment and maturity to handle each case.  I would fail, not because my intentions were wrong but because I was not equipped to handle the situation.
Like playing doctor in a trauma unit, I think we sometimes approach life’s spiritual trauma unit in the same way.  Overflowing with lost and dying souls we walk in with our Fisher Price bags and think a couple bandaids will heal those dying of cancer. What an absurd idea!  Everyone knows that slapping on a bandaid won’t heal cancer.  Then why is it that we assume we can just get by when it comes to reaching the lost?  
Imagine also if you went to the doctor and while you were in the exam room you noticed his diploma on the wall.  As he began the exam you mentioned it to him and he admitted  that he barely graduated and only did the bare minimum to get by.  Who would you prefer examine you--the doctor who just got by or a doctor who worked tirelessly in order to make the most of his educational opportunities?
It is time to wake up.  This is real life.  We can no longer approach the lost and dying with an unequipped, barely-skating by attitude.  Just like a doctor would not walk into an operating room with a Fisher Price kit, we cannot be casual in reaching the lost.  We must be intentional and “always prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks for a reason for the hope that we have.”  So put away the doctor kit, that is for children.  Take pride in the knowledge of Him.  Most importantly honor God in how you approach Him, His kingdom and this world.  
“Father, may we lay our childish games of pretend aside and become aware of the urgency of so many lost and dying in separation from you.  May we no longer casually live our lives but may we put you and your will first.  Father, let it be.”

1 comment:

Loren and Alaina Holland said...

very true. thanks for sharing friend!